Because Not All Dark Under Eye Circles Are Created Equal
- Posted on: Sep 15 2014
Dark under eye circles plague men and women of all ages and races. They may go by any other names — from raccoon eyes to shiners to being blue-eyed — but almost anyone who have dark under eye circles are unified in their wish to banish them once and for all!
At the Lumier Medical, reducing the appearance of dark under eye circles is one of the most concerns of first-time visitors. Although there have been treatments and products that have been proven to prevent or reduce one from looking raccoon-eyed, it should be noted that not all dark under eye circles are created equal! Read on below to learn what exactly causes dark under eye circles and how the Lumier Medical team can help you appear younger and less fatigued through minimally invasive cosmetic treatments.
Factors Influencing the Appearance of Dark Under Eye Circles
- Genetics – If both of your parents were suffering from panda eyes, there’s a huge chance you’ll have it, too. Generally, the thinness of the skin under the eyes is hereditary and may be further aggravated by aging. In addition, bony facial structures in which the eyes may be deeply set may be also inherited.
- Chronic allergies – Dark pigmentation may be a result of consistent rubbing or scratching in the skin under the eyes in conditions such as atopic dermatitis and chronic allergies.
- Hormonal imbalances – Lack or excess of hormones such as during pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause may influence the appearance of dark pigmentation under the eyes.
- Lifestyle Factors – These factors include smoking and excessive alcohol consumption.
- Nutrition – Deficiencies in Vitamins A, C, E and K as well as minerals such as calcium, potassium and magnesium have been shown to influence the appearance of dark under eye circles.
- Prolonged use of certain medications such as oral contraceptives
- Chronic sun exposure which may increase the pigmentation level of the skin
- Conditions that lead to dehydration
- Lack of sleep and fatigue which could lead to extremely pale skin may make the appearance of blood vessels more prominent under the eyes.
- Natural aging process which could lead to thinning skin under the eyes and fat/collagen loss
Dermal Fillers for Under Eye Circles
Reducing the appearance of under eye dark circles is possible if you have accurately identified the factors that has caused it (except for genetics). However, this is only applicable for mild cases. Men and women who are looking for minimally invasive solutions to reduce the appearance of their under eye circles can resort to dermal filler treatments. Specifically, fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm have been shown to improve the appearance of raccoon eyes by adding more volume in the lower eyelids.
If you’d like to learn more about dermal fillers, we’d love to hear from you! The Lumier Medical team are a physician-owned and -operated medical practice in Torrance, California. We specialize in the latest minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures available to improve age-related changes or otherwise enhance one’s physical appearance.
Call us at 310.375.9595 or fill out this contact form to schedule a consultation today. We look forward to your visit!
Posted in: Dermal Fillers