What Is It?
Cosmelan MD is a prescription treatment for benign skin discolorations, such as dark spots and mottled pigmentation of the face. It works to improve the color, texture, tone and tightness of the skin.
Cosmelan MD was originally developed in Spain and found to be very effective on ethnic skin. The Cosmelan MD we obtain utilizes this original formula, and is compounded in the United States. It carries the authentic Mesoestetic USA branding. We do not utilize the non-prescription version of Cosmelan.
Since Cosmelan MD contains prescription ingredients, it should be legally obtained and directed by a licensed physician. It is a medical procedure. This is for your safety to assure your skin discoloration is indeed benign, and to assess if you would be an appropriate candidate for this.
Although we offer many other alternative treatments to lighten the skin, this is one of the most safe, but aggressive options.
What Does Treatment Involve?
- 1. After evaluation and ample discussion, the skin is prepped with a Cosmelan degreaser. This is to remove make-up, oil, and any biologic film that would interfere with the absorption of the product.
2. Dr. Lum will apply the specially formulated pigment-reduction mask, known as Cosmelan 1. The manner in which this is applied is extremely important. Therefore, this step is done in-office only by the doctor. This begins the lightening process. The mask looks like peanut butter, and will stay on the face for a period of time dependent on skin type. You will then be sent home with home care maintenance products and thorough instructions.
3. After several hours, as determined by the physician, you will wash off the Cosmelan 1 mask with a gentle cleanser.
4. Day 2 will be the day of rest for your skin. You will use Hydra-vital Factor K (included with the procedure) as needed to moisturize, revitalize and nourish your skin. This is also a barrier protectant to prevent water loss from your skin.
5. On Day 3 you will begin to apply Cosmelan 2 to the face as directed by Dr. Lum.
6. After one month of using Cosmelan 2 at home, you will return the office for re-evaluation. Dr. Lum may spot treat residual dark areas of the skin with remaining Cosmelan 1.
How Does Cosmelan MD Work?
Active ingredients include hydroquinone (up to 8%), retinoic acid, azelaic acid, kojic acid, arbutine, phytic acid and ascorbic acid. Cosmelan MD offers a unique delivery system to penetrate the skin with several substances that inhibit tyrosinase, an enzyme the skin uses to make melanin (pigment). The retinoic acid increases cell turnover, which not only sheds the darker skin cells, but brings out new, “cleaner” cells more quickly. This process not only treats the uneven skin tones, but improves the texture, tactile roughness of the skin, making it glow due to increased reflectivity of light. Your skin will appear more rejuvenated.
What Are Expected Side Effects of Cosmelan MD?
Under physician guidance, the use of Cosmelan MD s very safe.
Unlike the feeling many get with aggressive chemical peels, the Cosmelan 1 Mask is not usually painful. Some patients report a mild tingling or burning sensation once the mask is applied; others report no difference in sensation.
By Day 2, it is anticipated your skin will be red and dry. Eventually, the skin will begin to peel. The extent of the peeling varies from person-to-person, but the redness and peeling always subsides in a matter of days to a few weeks. One consolation is that those with a more dramatic reaction and lengthy peeling process often see the most dramatic results.